Hello Family and Friends
God is good! We have had an amazing time so far here in Zimpeto, Mozambique. From the very beginning of our journey, we have seen God’s hand leading and guiding us. There is so much that I would like to share with you about my time with Iris Ministries these past 3 weeks, but I will just share one story that greatly impacted my life.
I began to spend a majority of time with one of the orphans named Myra who is nine years old. She always had a smile on her face and loved to sneak up on me and “scare” me! One day I was particularly touched while we were playing because she began to cry uncontrollably. I held her in my arms, spoke comforting words, caressed her face and prayed that God’s lavish love would pour upon her and comfort her. After about 45 minutes she stopped and was able to play again. It was in this moment that I realized strongly that we are all broken and need God to love on us. We all need to be loved. Without love, we will be buried in our sorrows and crying inside and most likely outside. I am thankful that I was able to be a tangible expression of God’s love to Myra that day as she dealt with the hurts in her past.
Her story is one that breaks my heart and is one that so many of the kids at Iris have. At age 6, she was found on the streets by the police, stricken with malaria. She was brought to the hospital where she received the medicine she needed to make a complete recovery. Once she was well, she was brought to Iris Ministries. At first, she had a terrible time adjusting and was known as the “wild” child. She would sleep during the day and be awake all night, but that was what she was used to because she had to survive on the streets. It is apparent that she was sexually abused while living on the streets and is now in counseling. The Iris staff has searched for her family, but they haven’t been able to find any of her relatives. Myra never talks about her family. It breaks my heart to tell you this story and to know that I could write more stories similar to Myra. Although it is absolutely devastating what has happened to Myra in her short life so far, it is incredible what God has done in her life and the hope that she now has. . I know God has special plans for this very precious daughter of his.
Iris Ministries takes in thousands and thousands of street kids of all ages with all different backgrounds. They give these kids clothes, a place to sleep, an education, and most of all they give them knowledge about God which ultimately gives them the hope and love they need to face the future and to deal with the past. It is beautiful to see how the kids are discipled and practice what they are taught by doing outreaches to the kids on the street and by going to the garbage dump and ministering to the kids there. Most of the leaders of the outreaches are young adults from Iris who themselves have lived on the streets that they are now ministering to. Iris Ministries has outreaches everyday to the local community which impacts the city of Zimpeto in unbelievable ways.
For the next four days, we will be spending time relaxing and being rejuvenated after an intense 3 weeks at Iris on an island. During this time we will be praying about our next steps because all of our contacts for ministry opportunities have fallen through. There are a couple of options that are beginning to surface so we will be praying for guidance in which opportunity God wants us to pursue.
I do not know when I will be able to update again as we are unsure of where we will in the coming weeks. Know that I will blog as soon as I have internet access again. Thanks in advance for your prayers and support. It means so much to me.
May you keep on being loved by the Source of love and overflowing it to everyone around you.
Love in Christ,
Kelsey J
Praise God with me for:
- The incredible time at Iris Ministires. All of the kids from age 3 months to 19 are so precious. They have blessed my life greatly through their mighty faith and contagious joy!
- A wonderful Christmas and New Years. It was so special to serve the kids a Christmas feast and to see their hearts as they worshipped God and gave thanks for His son Jesus.
- Iris Ministry and the way they take care of the orphaned and treat them as their own children.
Pray with me for:
-Myra. Pray that she will continue to receive healing from the trauma she experienced as a child. Pray that we will be able to remain in contact through letters.
-Continued safety and good health. Some of us had difficulties with stomach problems but for the most part we all remain in good health and spirits
-Hearts that are continually opened to God’s leading for our next steps.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment